CONNECTORS

                                                                CONNECTORS



                                                                          


‘Connectors’ are used to link large groups of words: phrases and sentences. You can also use them to connect paragraphs to give them coherence. Sentence connectors are usually placed at the beginning of a sentence and may be categorized as follows

CONTRAST 

HOWEVER 
  • This restaurant has the best kitchen in town. However, their staff are quite rude.
IN CONTRAST
  • House prices have gone up this year. In contrast, car prices seem to be stagnating.
NEVERTHELESS
  • I was in so much pain I didn’t want to get up in the morning. Nevertheless, I went to football practice as usual.
NONETHELESS


  • I don’t think Sean has serious behavioural problems. Nonetheless, I’ll talk to him first thing in the morning.

YET 

  • I’ve asked you a thousand times not to leave your dirty socks on the floor. Yet, you keep doing it.


SIMILARITY 
LIKEWISE
  • You can’t give your phone number to every man who asks for it. Likewise, you can’t go out with everyone who fancies you.
SIMILARLY
  • You’re not allowed to use your phone here. Similarly, you have to switch it off when you’re in the library.
CORRESPONDINGLY
  • She’s an excellent photographer. Correspondingly, her paintings are works of art.
IN THE SAME WAY
  • Cutting down on sugar will help you lose weight. In the same way, doing more exercise will help you get rid of a few kilos.
ALSO 
  • I want to talk to Prince Harry when I’m in England. Also, I want to meet his sister-in-law.
RESULT 
AS A RESULT
  • I’ve done a pranic healing course. As a result, I’ve been able to cure my neighbour’s sick cat.
AS A CONSEQUENCE
  • Zack has skipped school on many occasions. As a consequence, he’s failed his French test.
THEREFORE
  • We’re going to experience some meteor showers in the next few days. Therefore, the number of miraculous self-healings will rise.
THUS
  • You didn’t tell me you wanted to come. Thus, we won’t be taking you with us.
 ACCORDINGLY
  • Plenty of tourists visit the area in summer. Accordingly, selling hand-made objects is the main source of income for locals.








































CONNECTORS

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

PAST SIMPLE TENCE

PREPOSITIONS AND CONJUNCTIONS

PRONOUNS